The Path of Legends Podcast Episode # 01

POL001

Welcome to the very first episode of the Path of Legends podcast!

Your hosts Vince, Sal and Erik will diving through the various topics on this podcast, focusing on Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition and how this edition can mimic the old school style of gaming, specially Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st Edition.

Our motto is, “Where D&D 5e can be just as deadly as AD&D 1e!”

For this episode the crew introduces the various segments on the show and talk about what to expect on the show.

The Adventure path is up first where we speak about “what is the OSR and how we can make 5e as deadly as 1e.”

Monster Hunters, we listen in as our Monster hunter tells us a story about some Gnolls and then the boys analyze the 5e Gnoll comparing its back to its roots in 1E.

In What is old, Now is new! segment, We focus on cursed items and how the Advantage/Disadvantage system can make this mimic old school playing.

Finally we wrap the show up with Presto’s Hat, where we talk about the quick reference worksheet that helps you convert 1e monsters in 5e monsters!

You can contact us by emailing us at pathoflegendspodcast@gmail.com

Links on today’s show:

9 comments for “The Path of Legends Podcast Episode # 01

1. James Redmon
    March 8, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Hey Vince, Sal, and Erik

I usually don’t listen to podcast but I usually follow Erik’s site so I thought why not. I enjoyed it and thought it was well done.

Here are some observations about each segment:

1) Adventure Path
    The 5e system is really the “Goldilocks” system for me. It allows one to turn a dial of options to create the game that is just right under most circumstances. It is harder at the extremes like the simplicity of OD&D and vast complexity of Pathfinder. However, I would point out that some rule changes can have unintended consequences. For example, hit points are greater in 5e because creatures hit more often than in 1e. Many believe it is more fun to hit multiple times in the same number of rounds than to miss most of the time even though the final result is the same. With that in mind, I would reduce the number of death saves to one from three instead of instant kill at zero.

2) Monster Hunters
    I really enjoyed this discussion. In 1e, the gnoll blended with other humanoids. It has definitely come a long way from 0e where it was considered to be “a cross between gnomes and trolls”. Also, I think the rampage trait works better with at least 1 death save rule.

3) What is old, Now is New!
    Erik was spot on here with disadvantage. Cursed Items are mentioned in DMG p. 138 but most specific items are left to the DM. Cursed items from 1e DMG are easily lifted. I think the main reason is most modern players really don’t appreciate finding a necklace of strangulation or a scarab of death. 5e does have a lack of “save or die” or “just die” features but these can be easily added.

4) Presto’s Hat
    Stan’s worksheet is really good for quick conversion of 1e modules where the number of monsters in an encounter are greater.

I am looking forward to next podcast! Thanks!

Regards,

James

• vince
      March 9, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, and most of all, giving us a chance. I hope you continue to provide feedback like this often, it helps shape the podcast for future shows.

• March 9, 2016 at 7:12 pm

James,

Thanks for following the blog and giving the podcast a listen. We think we have the makings of an excellent podcast and with feedback like this, we can only get better.

I really enjoy podcasting with Vince and Sal 😉

2. Fjw70
    March 15, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Enjoyed the show guys.

I love gnolls as well. I have a 5e game tomorrow night where I am using a 1e module. I think I will give Stan’s conversion sheet a try.

The one critique is that you have the fragility of 4e rules all wrong. It’s one of those things that is often repeated but is just wrong, but that isn’t the point of the show so I will leave it at that.

Looking forward to the next show.

• vince
      March 24, 2016 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the feedback!

3. March 18, 2016 at 6:21 am

Oh Sh*! Run

4. March 18, 2016 at 6:41 am

Im going to bed while listening but I just wanted to make a comment, if you bring this up then sorry but you guys talk about how beefed up gnolls are. Some what true but dont forget the PCs get to 3rd level really fast now
    So if you slow down PC progression then ya they are tough but otherwise 3rd level is almost like an extension of 1st level

good show so far 😉

• vince
      March 24, 2016 at 11:25 am

I understand and thank you for letting me know. I didn’t design the site, but I tried to make it clear as possible by putting episode 1 on the graphic to show that’s where the show will be.

5. March 19, 2016 at 4:52 pm

BTW love the intro to the Gnolls that was really cool.

A comment on the website. Its actually really difficult to find the podcast.
    I tried to get to the podcast from your home page and it takes a few not very obvious clicks to get to.
    If I didnt know there was a podcast Id probably have given up.
    Just advice to help you guys out, not trying to be a dick. 😉